About this blog...

I am a former leader of a Human Terrain Team in Iraq. My intent with this blog was to identify relevant, open-source materials on Iraqi culture, society, politics, religion and economics - just about anything on or about the Iraqi population in general.

I am continuing the blog now only sporadically, as a means of information distribution in support of efforts to improve a vital program hamstrung by failures in execution.

Friday, August 17, 2007

Yazidis in Iraq

The big discussion in the last few days has obviously been the big attack in the north. It didn't get much coverage at first (beyond this WP article), but the attack was on the Yazidis, one of the very small minority groups. The LAT finally had a decent discussion of the Yazidis yesterday.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

This is off topic, but would like to speak with you as I'm considering a job with the Human Terrain Teams and have a few questions.

Am guessing my login will give you my email address, if not please reply to this when you have a minute and I'll post it here.

Thanks in advance,
Nick

Matt Tompkins said...

Nick-

Your profile is blocked. You can catch me at mattvtom at gmail or matthew.tompkins on ako. Do me a favor, though, and email from your ako or some other mil/gov address -- I've already had journalist friends interested in writing about this, and I'd like to be certain who I'm talking to...

I'm downrange now, though, so the reply might be a little slow...

~Matt.

Doc Foree said...

Sir I would like to ask you some questions about Human Terrain Teams in Iraq for a research paper I'm doing for a cultural anthropology class if that is possible. I know you are busy and internet access is spotty at best but any help you can give me would be great. You can e-mail me at destin.foree on ako. Keep your head down and stay safe